Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Design Rationale: 500cc Ninja powertrain

A variety of engines have been used for vehicles similar to what I am working on. The XR3 and the MAX both use small Kubota diesels. The Indy Cycle built by Jamieson DuRette uses a 750cc motorcycle. The Sport Cycle by Jim Musser was designed around an 1100cc Kawasaki. One of the Sport Cycle kits that Jim produces was powered by a 600cc bike. The HyperRocket is powered by a 250cc Ninja.

Fuel mileage for the XR3 and MAX is in the 50 to 80 MPG range. The Sport Cycle with the 1100cc engine gets about 45 MPG. The HyperRocket gets 100 - 125 MPG.

Initially I settled on a 250cc Ninja, largely based on the performance of the HyperRocket. However, the HyperRocket was developed in Michigan and I live in Montana. My commute includes some moderate hill climbs and I believe the frame on my vehicle will be heavier than that of the HyperRocket. In a conversation with Jim Musser, he shared that the Sport Cycle that featured a 600cc power plant still had excellent performance, I decided to look for about a 400cc bike.

Knowing that I might have to gear the bike down using a larger rear sprocket, a 6 speed transmission and the capability of high RPM would be important in order to meet quick performance and sufficient power required for good handling in traffic and hill climbs.

I found a 1989 EX500 Ninja on Craigslist for $300 - in boxes - but the price is right. The odometer shows 6800 miles, so I snapped it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment